It may be necessary to import the root and sub CA certificates to a credential during the issuance process. Follow the instructions in this article that will describe how this can be configured in the vSEC:CMS.
Configure Root and Sub CA Import
1. From the Options - Connections page click Certificate Authorities and select an already created CA template that will be used for issuing the smart card certificates. When the template is selected, summary information about this template is displayed in the window below the template window. For example, if the file name for the certificate list is 000f0002.certlist then you would see the information as Certificates: 000f0002.certlist in the bottom window when you select the CA template like below. You should make a note of this file name 000f0002.certlist as this will be required in the next step.
2. Navigate to the location where the vSEC:CMS is installed on the server. If the default location for the installation was used then navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Versasec\vSEC_CMS S-Series\cms_db\certificates and create a certlist file with the name retrieved from step one above. In this example, the file name is 000f0002.certlist.
3. The newly created certlist file will contain information about the location of the root and sub CA(s) that need to be written to the credential during credential issuance. The content of the file should look as the sample file below.
|<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
4. In the sample certlist file the location of the root and sub CA(s) need to be configured to point to the file location, for example c:\certs\root.cer and c:\certs\sub_ca1.cer above.
5. From the Templates - Card Templates page select the credential template that will write the root and sub CA(s) and click the Edit link for Issue Card.
6. In the Enroll Certificates Options section enable the Import Root/SubCA certificate(s) to smart card check box to complete the configuration.